Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Fax to Email attachments Options
CraigS2
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:18:50 PM

Groups:

I appear to have a problem not covered in the threads below.

Today I recieved a fax which succesfully made it to the inbox of my IMAP mailbox (Not Gmail!!).

On Webmail, and outlook on my PC all is well. On my Windows Mobile 6.1Pro Smartphone, the attachment does not appear.

I have checked the download settings, and attachments from other emails appear to download OK. The only difference I can see is the filename of the fax attachment the soho66 system created: 1300206945.4221.pdf the additional full stop appears to have upset the Windows Mobile OS recognising the attachment.

I've just tested this theory with a small text file - and additional full stops means attachments are somehow not recognised - these also upset my anti-virus software.

Could you modify the file naming convention for the pdf attachments (as I can't change the OS on my phone!!!! ) to remove the additional full stops?

Today I could get onto the internet from another PC to access the MySoho site, but that is not always the case!!!

<SendersNumber>-<YYYYMMDDHHMM>.pdf would be an alternative??

thanks

Craig
NaveedI
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:44:54 PM

Groups:

today i have sent one JPG file, but i cant see anything in confirmation pdf file, it seems to be a blank pdf file, i wonder if the fax is delivered what i am seeing is as blank paper?
If it is so, then why i cant send the file through the web so i can view before i can send the fax

StephenL4
#3 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 9:55:55 AM

Groups:

Hi,

Thank you for reporting a problem with the email - fax service.

In order to diagnose this issue, please can you supply us with the following:

The fax email that you had sent, from your Sent Items folder.
The e-mail containing any error messages returned by Soho66, from your Inbox.

These should be forwarded to us as an attachment, so that all the original email headers are preserved. This can be done from the majority of mail clients by right-clicking on the messages in your email folder, and selecting "Forward as an attachment".

If you can then send these to support@soho66.co.uk, we can diagnose the cause of the issue for you.
RobinC
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2013 3:49:33 PM

Groups:

CraigS2 wrote:
Could you modify the file naming convention for the pdf attachments (as I can't change the OS on my phone!!!! ) to remove the additional full stops?

Whilst it doesn't help the original poster, sadly this is a case where the difficulties being experienced by the user arise solely from Microsoft's cavalier attitude to open standards.

The filename format used by Soho66 is perfectly valid, but it seems that the problem is simply yet another unresolved bug in Windows Mobile, which lags a very poor third in mobile phone OSs and, frankly, is unlikely to survive in the longer term. Unfortunately, I can only suggest that you raise the issue as customer feedback, asking why Microsoft doesn't care about the problems caused for users by its poor quality software.

Another example is the use of the ampersand ("&"), a perfectly legal character for use in the local part (before the @domain) of e-mail addresses, acording to RFC2822, as agreed by the IETF, this being the global standard for e-mail addresses. Yet most UK Government IT systems (built using Microsoft's proprietary "BizTalk") won't accept an address containing an ampersand - basically, due to the fact that the security flaws in Windows mean that it is particularly susceptible to buffer overfolows containing the & character.

It's outrageous that some members of the public using perfectly legal e-mail addresses cannot use most Government Web sites simply because Microsoft cannot write good quality software!