Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Unable to make or receive calls Options
RobertT2
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:08:45 PM

Groups:

I can't make or receive any calls using my IP phone

If you are unable to make or receive any calls using a VoIP phone connected to the Soho66 service then there are some common issues that can cause the problem.

Incorrectly configured phone

If your phone has never worked then it's likely that you haven't configured the phone correctly to connect to our service.

Check the hardware guides for specific details on your make and model of phone. Generally, you should check that the following as well:

• Check that you're using the correct username / password for the phone. When diagnosing connection issues, we quite often see that people are using their Soho66 master account username / password to connect the phone to our service, rather than the VoIP username / password for the number. You can find your VoIP username and password for the phone in My Soho >> Login >> My Services >> My Numbers >> Your number

• Double check that you have entered your password correctly. Passwords are case sensitive. Make sure that you've not entered a 1 instead of an i. Ideally, you should copy and paste your password from the Soho66 number page to the phone configuration. If you do copy and paste, watch out for any leading or trailing spaces that might get copied with it.

• If you find that your phone is taking a long time before returning an error message when registering then it's likely you've entered the domain registrar server incorrectly. Check in My Soho >> Login >> My Services >> My Numbers >> Your number for the correct registrar server, ideally copying and pasting this setting.

Phone not connected to the Internet

It may be that your phone doesn't have any connectivity - especially if it's worked previously and has stopped working when nothing else has changed.

Find out the IP address of the phone (check our hardware support guides for how to do this) and try to connect to that IP address through an Internet browser such as Internet Explorer. If you are unable to connect, then your phone is likely not physically connected.

A problem with your router

A common cause of phones not working is if the router being used is blocking or failing to forward the traffic from your phone. If all else fails, then this is the likely candidate. Check the router troubleshooting guides on this forum.