Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

General firewall advice Options
DarrenG4
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:24:32 PM

Groups:

I am about to embark on setting up twenty lines with Soho66. This is with Yealink handsets that are currently working rather poorly with another provider. I think most of the issues are down to the incumbent provider but I want to be as prepared as possible for any issues.

Is there any generic advice on how the router and/or firewall need to be set up? I know in the past it's been advised to turn off things like 'SIP ALG' in router settings - is this a general rule or is it just for troubleshooting certain routers? Do the SIP ports need to be open/forwarded through the router? Do all handsets need to use different SIP ports etc?

Could anyone say if the advice on compatible routers here http://soho66.co.uk/foru...lt.aspx?g=posts&t=8 is still good? I would be prepared to swap out the existing BT router if it's going to be problematic, but this post is several years old now.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
RobertT
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 10:01:15 AM

Groups:

Hi Darren,

It is advised that any settings relating to SIP such as SIP ALG or SIP QoS are switched off as they tend to cause problems rather than solve them.

It is also advisable if you have multiple phones connected to the same router that you assign a unique local SIP port to each phone in the phones web interface.

The newer BT routers tend to be fine with VoIP traffic.